RECENT AND RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
Broadcast and Digital Meteorologist – WCTV/Gray Television – Tallahassee, FL – Jan. 2017 – present
• Responsible for posting weather content and stories to the station’s website and social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter. Written content topics include climate, major weather events, and holiday and weekend • Forecasting and delivering the weather on air during the weekend morning shows using TWC’s MAX system, and filling in when needed.
• Posting weather content and stories to the station’s website and social media channels, including Facebook and Twitter.
• Written content topics for the web include upcoming weather event forecasts and discussions, climate change, and holiday forecasts.
• Creating content for the yearly hurricane special.
• Created the digital-only Hurricane Guide in 2019 using Adobe InDesign, and update it annually (link to PDF).
• Gather information, shoot, write, and edit weather and science stories for television and the web. Topics include climate change, severe weather prep, interesting and relevant research, science outreach, and weather “explainers.”
• Creating new, engaging graphics to use for weather broadcasts.
• Created the graphics for the new mobile weather application, as well as occasionally monitoring app statistics.
• Assisting the news department with photography or general assignment coverage as needed.
• Help the newsroom with training new MMJs on topics of shooting and editing video, and creating training materials for the staff on using camera gear, technical procedures, and smartphone video news gathering. Also advise news management on news-gathering technologies.
Photojournalist/Meteorologist – WCTV/Gray Television – Tallahassee, FL – Sept. 2013 – Dec. 2016
• Posted weather updates on social media channels using weather graphics from WSI TruVu Max using Social News Desk and TweetDeck.
• Initiated the posting weather updates on the weather webpage, including weather-related news, which has increased traffic to the once-dormant weather section on the website.
• Fill-in on-camera meteorologist when needed, and assists the weather department with graphics and social media during times of severe weather.
• Collaborated with the weather team to write, edit, and shoot weather stories for newscasts and special projects, including the hurricane season specials.
• Shot and edited news, weather, and sports video with a reporter or solo in the field using
professional-grade Sony cameras and non-linear editors, and shot live shots using bonded cellular.
• Was responsible for educating news staff with equipment and editing software. Created technical procedures for reporters to transmit video back to the station using
• Social media channels: @CharlesRoopWCTV on Twitter.
Atmospheric Scientist – HWind Scientific, LLC – Tallahassee, FL – Nov. 2014 – June 2015
• Performed post-storm analysis on tropical cyclones using surface, aircraft, and satellite data.
• Searched for new data sources and how it could be used for improving quality control analysis.
• Assisted with creating a method to retrieve vertical profile weather data using Python.
• Used social media to inform and engage the audience about the science of tropical cyclones and happenings with the company.
Master of Science – Geosciences (Operational Meteorology) – Mississippi State University – 2013
• Thesis: Geographic analysis of
• President, East Mississippi Chapter of the National Weather Association / American Meteorological Society (2011-2012)
• Poster presented: Geographic analysis of tornado frequency from landfalling tropical cyclones in the state of Florida. Southeast Severe Storms Symposium, Third-place winner, 2013
Bachelor of Science – Geography – University of Florida – 2010
• Outside Concentration: Photojournalism
• Certificate in Weather and Climate
• Vice President, Gator Amateur Radio Club
• Vice President & a founding member, UF Chapter of the American Meteorological Society
Associate of Arts – Journalism – College of Central Florida – 2006
• Writer, News Editor, Photojournalist, Co-Editor of The Patriot Press
Finally, Weather Reporting (Single), “The Fujiwhara Effect,” Florida Association of Broadcast Journalists, 2021
Finalist, Weather Reporting, “Polar Vortex“, Florida Association of Broadcast Journalists, 2020
Finalist, Weather Reporting, “Fake Weather“, Florida Associated Press Broadcasters, 2019
Finalist, Weather Reporting, “South Georgia Tornado Drill“, Florida Associated Press Broadcasters, 2018
Finalist, Best General Assignment, Florida Associated Press Broadcasters, 2015
First Place for Forecasting, Louisville, KY, The Weather Challenge, 2013
Runner-Up for Forecasting, Astoria, OR, The Weather Challenge, 2013